How does one get a Postal ID in the Philippines?
The Postal ID is a valid government identification card issued by the Philippine Postal Corporation.
What are the advantages of having a Postal ID?
Having a Postal ID in the Philippines is important for the following reasons:
- A primary form of identification: For Filipinos, this ID serves as a primary form of identification. This is valid in various government services and transactions as well as in banking and other financial institutions.
- Validity: It is valid for three years for Filipinos and for foreign residents with Special Retiree’s Resident Visa (SRRV). For the rest of the foreign residents, it will be valid for one year.
- Security features: The new ID has additional physical security features that are noticeable to just the naked eye. This makes ID verification simpler and more secure.
- Easy to obtain: The requirements to get a Postal ID are simple and easy to obtain. You only need to submit your application, proof of identity, and proof of residency.
In summary, a Postal ID serves as a valid identification document. Moreover, it has a long validity period and has tight security features.
Steps in applying
Here are the steps and requirements to get a Postal ID in the Philippines:
- Two copies of the Postal ID application form, available in any post office or for download online.
- Proof of identity: You can submit any one of the following documents:Birth Certificate issued by NSO or Local Civil Registry
- Proof of address: You can submit any one of the following
- Barangay Certificate of Residency (Issuance is withing 3 months before the application)
- Certified True Copy of Titles issued by the Land Registration Authority (LRA)
- Certified True Copy of Lease
- Certified True Copy of Real Estate Tax Receipt
- Credit Card Statement
- Bank Statement
- School Billing Statement
- Utility Bill
- Fill out two copies of the Postal ID application form.
- Next, prepare the required documents, including proof of identity and proof of address.
- Submit the completed application form and required documents to any post office.
- Pay the application fee, which varies depending on the post office. The fee ranges from Php 504 for regular application to Php 650 for rush applications.
- Wait for your ID. The processing time may take up to 15 working days for Metro Manila and 20 to 30 days for those living in the provinces and remote areas.
What are the security features of the improved postal ID?
The Improved Postal ID in the Philippines has additional physical security features that make it harder to reproduce and fake. These security features include:
- A ghost image of the applicant: The PhilPost ID has a ghost image of the applicant. This is a faint image of your photo that you can see when you hold the ID up to the light.
- Hologram of the running mailman: The ID has a hologram of a running mailman that is visible only at a specific angle.
- Ultraviolet ink: The ID has ultraviolet ink that is only visible under UV light.
- Microprint: The ID has microprint that is too small to be read by the naked eye, making it difficult to reproduce.
- Barcode: The new ID has a barcode that contains the cardholder’s information, making it easier to verify the authenticity of the ID.
These security features make the new Postal ID more secure and harder to fake, ensuring maximum security for the cardholder.